Buried in a non-newsy item about the Braves' travel plans to the All Star Game in New York City, beat writer David O'Brien writes this:
Chipper was in the visitor's clubhouse, packed and ready to limo it to the airport to board a charter flight along with Brian McCann, McCann's wife Ashley, and Braves trainer Jeff "Bubba" Porter, who was picked to serve as NL trainer.
Of all the trainers on all the teams in the National League, manager Clint Hurdle grabbed Jeff Porter? The Braves trainer? Heck, the Braves 40-man roster page has more red crosses on it than an episode of M*A*S*H. Here's the list of the currently disabled:
- Omar Infante (SS) - Strained left hamstring
- Manny Acosta (RP) - Strained right hamstring
- Rafael Soriano (RP) - Strained Virginia hamstring
- Tom Glavine (SP) - Gout and alzheimers
- Matt Diaz (LF) - Torn ligament
- John Smoltz (SP) - Shoulder surgery
- Mike Hampton (SP) - Wallaby rape
Perhaps Hurdle has devised a scheme wherein he brings in Porter to 'tend' to the NL All Stars with his 'special' methods of 'medicine', wink wink nudge nudge. Then, with all the National League's best players on the DL, Hurdle and his Rockies can ascend from 8.5 games back in the West and once again bring the power of Baby Jesus to the playoffs!
Either that or Clint just tends to hang out with folks named Bubba.