Why the dutch oven? Because the term 'hot stove' needs to be retired. This feature will attempt to give you a listicle-driven source for all sorts of off-season baseball rumors. If you have any suggestions, rumors, or recipes that I can cook in my dutch oven, email us
- A.J. Burnett Hates the Yankees: Do you blame him? He's exactly the kind of signing fans in the Bronx would love...for about 20 seconds. A pitcher in the decline signing for a huge wad of cash? Thanks, but we've already had our fill of Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Roger Clemens II, David Wells, and Randy Johnson.
- Manny, Many Other Folks Filed Free Agency: Yesterday was the first chance for free agents to file, and their prior teams have a two-week window to negotiate with them before they're sent out into the wild. The Dodgers will most likely lose Derek Lowe and Manny Ramirez, but they'll need to keep Joe Beimel or Troy will go apeshit.
- Marlins, Royals Consummate First Trade, No One Notices: Well, almost no one. Florida first-bagger Mike Jacobs will knock Billy Butler to DH in Kansas City, while Marlins pick up someone who allegedly has pitched in the majors for a few years. News to me!
- Nationals Cut Closer Chad Cordero: Another former Expo leaves the Washington roster. If memory serves me right, Nick Johnson is the only player left on the team who played for Montreal back in 2004. Cordero had labrum surgery this past year but is one of the most accomplished closers in franchise history. Translation: he'll be a failed Met reliever next year.
- Should Jake Peavy Stay Or Should He Go?: Sorry, Braves fans. Seems like the Padres want too much in return for the stud pitcher, and the stud pitcher is being too wishy-washy about which teams he wants to play for. If I were Jake, I wouldn't want to leave San Diego either. The fish tacos are supreme.
Players of note who were cut by their teams: Ken Griffey Jr., Toby Hall, and Edgar Renteria. Get 'em while they're hot!