Why the dutch oven? Because the term 'hot stove' needs to be retired. This feature will attempt to give you a listicle-driven source for all sorts of off-season baseball rumors. If you have any suggestions, rumors, or recipes that I can cook in my dutch oven, email us
- Mets Putz the Putz in the Pen: So remember yesterday when I dissed the K-Rod trade by saying, "And any reliever like the Mariners' J.J. Putz was out of reach via trade because the Mets cupboard of prospects was bare." Boy, was I wrong. Omar Minaya acquired pitchers J.J. Putz and Sean Green along with OF Jeremy Reed in a three-team trade with the Mariners and Indians, giving up pitcher Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez and a few other gents. I will now eat my crow omelet.
- Rays Deal With Starter Surplus, Edwin Jackson Deathmarches to Detroit: Hey Edwin Jackson, wasn't it great almost winning the World Series with the Rays last year? Well congratulations on a successful season because now you get to go play in the D! The Rays sent Jackson to the Tiggers in exchange for young outfield stud Matt Joyce. It's so cold in the D!
- Eighty is Larger than Sixty, Five is Greater than Four: The Yankees have offered A.J. Burnett $80 million over five years, while the Braves have offered the former Jay $60 million over four years. Maybe if the Yanks bring on A.J. to join CC, they can have every starter go by their first two initials. CC, A.J., C.M. Wang, J.L. Chamberlain and J.A. Smoltz. Got a nice ring to it, eh?
- Matt Treanor and His Groin Shall Be Released: The Marlins dumped catcher Matt Treanor, citing that they want to go with young catching fella John Baker as their guy for 2009. Treanor will have more time to be careful with his package and the blog Fishstripes will have less time to blog about Misty May-Treanor.
- Phillies Add Another Mediocre Catcher to the Mix: If the Phillies fan hadn't celebrated a World Series win just a few weeks ago, they'd be pretty depressed about the latest acquisition from the Pirates: backup catcher Ronny Paulino. The Phils gave up minor league C Jason Jaramillo in exchange. If only Paulino, Chris Coste, Carlos Ruiz, and Lou Marson could combine forces and great a super-catching Voltron-like creature!