Why the dutch oven? Because the term 'hot stove' needs to be retired. This feature will attempt to give you a listicle-driven source for all sorts of off-season baseball rumors. If you have any suggestions, rumors, or recipes that I can cook in my dutch oven, email us
- The Following Players Were Offered Arbitration: Mets SP Oliver Perez, Angels 1B Mark Teixeira, Angels RP Frankie Rodriguez, Royals 2B Mark Grudzielanek, Red Sox C Jason Varitek, Red Sox SP Paul Byrd, Rockies RP Brian Fuentes, Dodgers OF Manny Ramirez, Dodgers SP Derek Lowe, Blue Jays SP
Derek LoweAJ Burnett, Mariners OF Raul Ibanez, Rangers DH Milton Bradley, Diamondbacks 2B Orlando Hudson, Twins RP Dennys Reyes, Brewers SP CC Sabathia and Brewers SP Ben Sheets.
- The Following Players Were Not Offered Arbitration: Brewers RP Eric Gagne, Mets RP Luis Ayala, Mets OF Moises Alou, Yankees OF Bobby Abreu, Yankees SP Andy Pettitte, Tigers SS Edgar Renteria, Cubs RP Kerry Wood, Cubs OF Jim Edmonds, Padres RP Trevor Hoffman, Braves SP John Smoltz, Diamondbacks OF Adam Dunn, Diamondbacks SP Randy Johnson, Angels OF Garret Anderson, Cardinals RP Russ Springer, and Rays OF Rocco Baldelli. More arbitration nonsense later.
- Houston Astros Roll Dice, Bring Back Mike Hampton: The effusive Ed Wade has struck again, bringing oft-injured starter Mike Hampton back into the fold in Houston. It's allegedly a $2 million one-year deal with $2 million in incentives, so the risk level is pretty low. Unfortunately, the possible reward is pretty low too. I'm predicting a 2-7 record in 80 IP with a 5.20 ERA and 28 homers allowed.
- Will Carroll Hates Rumours, He Can Go His Own Way: Baseball Prospectus' own ouchie doctor gave up rumormongering for Lent this year. Will Carroll posted a short (well, short by Will Carroll's standards) blog item delineating his issues with mid-winter speculation posting about player trades and free agent signings. He says that about 50% of rumors are untrue; if he heard the garbage I sling around on a regular basis at my weekly Mahjong game, he'd be singing a different tune for sure.
- Jack Zduriencik Has a Surprise in Store for Seattlites: No, it's not that biofuel-powered low-profile owl-friendly monorail those treehuggers have been pushing for so loing. It's a free agent position player! Who has to this point been unnamed! Except it's definitely not Ken Griffey Jr so don't get your hopes up, fans of 90's nostalgia! So put away your Screaming Trees albums!