Why the dutch oven? Because the term 'hot stove' needs to be retired. This feature will attempt to give you a listicle-driven source for all sorts of off-season baseball rumors. If you have any suggestions, rumors, or recipes that I can cook in my dutch oven, email us
- New Marlins Stadium Will Have Decorative and Functional Clamshell Roof: The Miami Herald published renderings of the new Florida Marlins ballpark that is set to go to a vote in Miami next month. The half-a-billion stadium will have a retractable roof and be located at the site of the former Orange Bowl. The roof will be opened up whenever the weather was not too hot and not too humid and not raining, or at most twice a season.
- Rockies Have Enough Bats: So sayeth the headline of Rob Neyer's latest blogpost. No telling whether or not the club has enough gloves, caps, and jockstraps for the coming season during these tough economic times. Won't you donate jockstraps to the neediest of players?!?
- Rockies Have Enough Ubaldo Jimenez: The aforementioned Colorado Rockies have agreed to a four-year contract with stud pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez that includes options for 2013 and 2014. Jimenez went 12-12 with a 3.99 ERA and 178 K's for the Denver squadron last season, and was just the second Rockie to ever post 10 wins with a sub-4.00 ERA. The first? Aaron Cook, who also did it last year. Looks like those humidors are working, Bud!
- Tired of Offending Fans With Poor Play, Nats Set To Offend Fans With Poor Broadcasters: Former Nasty Boy and current radio doofus Rob Dibble is the new color commentator for the Nationals games on the media behemoth MASN television network. He'll replace the permed Don Sutton in the booth and generally annoy Washingtonians with his poor vocabulary and narrow-minded views on the sport.
- Enter Eric Hinske, Exit Doug Mientkiewicz: Dejan Kovacevic is reporting that the Bucs are on the verge of signing free agent utility dork Eric Hinske to a one-year deal, most likely ending the tenure of Doug M. in Pittsburgh. Hinske hits better than Mientkiewicz but is not nearly as good a fielder, which means that the Pirates are not yet ready to embrace the DER revolution.