Hey kids, try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm.
- DID you know that Rob joined me this year in the New York Daily News Player Pick Pool? And that I'm killing him?
- WHO will take rubber between the White Sox and O's? The O's are a game under .500 now and could be settling even lower starting riiiiight abooooouuut.... now.
- ARE the pitiful Astros going to sweep those first place Dodgers? Not if Chad Blillingsley has anything to say about it! Which he probably does but I can't be bothered to ask him.
- WILL KIng Felix start pitching like the Cy Young winner we picked him to be and grab rubber against Tampa?
- CAN the Blue Jays maintain their tenuous grasp on first place against the recently unhittable Kevin Millwood and the Rangers.
- ANY of my local peeps have an in at the IFF Boston? I reeeeeaaaallly wanna see the Luis Tiant movie Saturday night. Hook a blogger up, please.
That's almost it for today pals, but I do wanna say one more thing. Rarely do we get too personal on this site, but I'm gonna lift the veil a little bit and tell you about the medical plight of my good friend Sara Phillips. She's suffered from ulcerative colitis for her whole life and during Law School finals over this past winter at Michigan State was studying so intensely and stressfully that she was unable to monitor a flare up of her condition. Her immune system dropped to such a dangerously low level that an infection spread in her leg so rapidly that it had to be amputated.
Sara is a funny, smart and warm person that is always great to be around. And she loves Bob Dylan. My kinda girl. She had/has student health insurance through Michigan State, but that money was more or less gone the night her leg was amputated. All treatment and medication is now paid for out of pocket and she faces several more surgeries. Her parents have left their lives and jobs in Florida to move to Michigan and help Sara through this huge change in her life. They have used all of their savings paying a mortgage in Florida, rent in Michigan, and the medical bills that will not stop coming in anytime soon. Needless to say, they need help.
Her friends have set up a website where you can read more about her story, and if you have it, donate a couple of bucks to help her family pay for her continued treatment. She's a damn cool kid and her courage thus far has been inspriring. I'm not sure what else to say.
We'll see you all back here tomorrow for Friday Fun. It's gonna be wicked nice out but we'll still slave over a hot laptop for ya. Maybe there's WiFi in the park. Same WoW channel.