Sometimes people write better than us. Each Thursday WoW gives you our favorite baseball links we've come across.
- OMDQ goes in search of Wade Boggs at a Hannaford Supermarket in Nashua and ends up meeting the guy in the strangest of circumstances. No, not in the frozen pizza section. Bus Leagues Baseball.
- Sheryl Crow reminisces about meeting Willie McGee when she was a college student back in nineteen-dickety-five. This was before the advent of television, of course, and Sheryl had never met an African-American before. I'm implying that they're both old, do you get it? Riverfront Times.
- Tommy Craggs gives Tom Verducci the business and dregs up all of Verducci's old proclamations about the new, natural face of steroid-free baseball. Less than two years ago, it was Alex Rodriguez. That's some great reportin' there, boys. Deadspin.
- Kara Kovalchik keeps score of the good stuff that goes down behind the scenes at the ballpark. Did you know a good beer vendor can make up to $200 a game by helping jamooks get drunk? Thanks, beer guy! mental floss.
- Wezen-ball unearths a document from 1980 in which Commissioner Bowie Kuhn advocates for a "wild card DH". The concept is so outré I can't even begin to explain it to you; I'm glad the idea never happened. Tethering fans to their seats with wristbands, that's a concept I can get behind. wezen-ball.com.
- Babbo pastry chef Gina DePalma brings us everything you've always wanted to know about speck but were afraid to ask. Serious Eats.