It's a good thing Drew Fairservice is a vampire and stays up late because without his nocturnal ways, we'd have had quite a gap in reporting last night's shrimpworthy walkoff walk by Mark Reynolds. That marks the sixth walkoff walk on the season and the third that involved Joe Torre's Dodgers. Here's your list:
- James Loney, April 16th: The Dodgers topple the Giants in a West Coast affair that, coincidentally, Drew was liveglogging for The Score.
- Russell Martin, May 1st: A second straight Dodgers walkoff walk as Martin checks his swing against reliever Duaner Sanchez and the Padres' tumble towards last place begins. The walkoff walk was the game's only run.
- Shane Victorino, May 2nd: Just 18 hours later, Phillies center fielder Victorino watched Mets pitcher Sean Green's fastball soar by him outside the strike zone with the bases bloated. The Dodgers would have another chance later that night but Andre Ethier singled with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth.
- Carlos Beltran, May 12th: The Mets would get their own walkoff walk ten days later when Beltran did it against the Braves, just three days after Drew wrote a sweet ode to Beltran.
- Jake Fox, July 3rd: Finally, I got my chance to post the shrimp video because the Cubs did it...and they were playing an afternoon game. The Cubs topped the Brewers after Mike DeFelice intentionally walked Geo Soto to load the bases and issued the walkoff walk to Fox.
- Mark Reynolds, September 9th: How can we explain a two-month gap between shrimp? Yesterday was 9/9/09 so of course, we'd expect nothing less than a walkoff walk from Mr. Three True Outcomes himself. That's three Dodgers games ending with a running crustacean this year which explains why I'm sleeping during most WoWs.
Of course, for each of these six fantastic events, there have been countless walkoff walks that didn't happen because some schmuck decided it was better to win a game on a sacrifice fly, or a line drive single, or a silly HBP. And don't even remind me of the time Paul Bako robbed an insane group of WoWies of the chance to get the shrimp video on the Jumbotron at Citizens Bank Park. I'm still not over that yet.