Let's get the gang together and issue some wild World Series predictions, but instead of declaring a winner AND the number of games the series will go, let's choose between a barnburning close series or a bunch of snoozy cakewalks.
Why this format? Because a team can sweep and still have it be a close series, like if each of the wins is by one run. Last year's World Series only went five games, but four of the games were close, i.e. the winning team prevailed by just one or two runs. To me, that might be better than a World Series that goes seven games with a bunch of blowouts. The individual games matter, too.
Onto the prognosticating:
- Kris Liakos: Yankees in a close series...because God hates me and Pedro Martinez. And because the Yankees bullpen is lights out.
- Rob Iracane: Yankees in a close series...because Joe Girardi likes to give away outs like Halloween candies, thus stifling any big Yankees rallies.
- Drew Fairservice: Yankees in a close series...because they will grind out enough at bats for the suspect Phillies bullpen to expose its supple underbelly. Then, they strike!
- 3:10 to Joba: Phillies in a close series...because these are two evenly matched teams, but the fact that the Phillies get to play at home 3 games in a row at CBP cannot be understated. Especially when one of those games will force the Yankees to bat Jose Molina 8th and AJ Burnett 9th.
- Daniel McQuade: Phillies in a cakewalk...because they won't give away hundreds of outs like the Twins and the Angels did, and the ghost of Tomas Perez will haunt the Yankees for stealing his pie-in-the-face gag. (Note: Tomas Perez is still alive.)
- 'Duk of Big League Stew: Phillies in a close series .... because I'm just a smidge (Lidge?) less confident than Jimmy Rollins.
- Jonah Keri: Phillies in a close series...because they'll hit a lot of home runs. Nothing kills a rally quicker than a home run.
- Josh Zerkle of With Leather: Phillies in a close series...because bullpen success is crucial in a best-of-seven series. Plus, I don't want to live in a world where the Yankees are good again.
- A.J. Daulerio of Deadspin: Phillies in a cakewalk because fuck those Yankee fucks.
Wow, almost everybody thinks this thing will be close. But what I really want to know is the opinion of the WoWies. What do you think will happen? Anyone think we're in for a bunch of blowouts?