Full slate of afternooners today. On with em.
- Reds at Pirates, 12:35: In which Homer Bailey continues the struggle to be viewed as a good major league pitcher with each start. While Homes has gone more than 6 in any outing this year, he turned in a quality start against STL on 5/1... only to be shelled by Chicago in his following turn. But the Reds look for the sweep and their 12th win in 16 games. A streak that's gone a ways towards cooling Dusty's seat. Zach Duke (also coming off a great start against STL) goes for the Bucs.
- Yankees at Tigers, 1:05: Double dip, thanks rain. The spectacular Phil Hughes can be scored upon by no mortal. Despite putting 30 runners on base in 32IP, only 6 of them have crossed home plate. He takes on Jeremy Bonderman in the first game. The second game sees Javy Vasquez take on Rick Porcello in an ERA matchup that looks more like opposing point guard PPGs. The Tigs took the first game of this 4 game set.
- Braves at Brewers, 1:10: Atlanta has snapped out of their hitting funk up in Milwaukee (Algonquin for the good land) and have their hands on the broom. Both teams have identical 15-18 records and a love of good books. Lowe vs. Gallardo.
- Nats at Mets, 1:10: Rubber in Queens between two more teams with identical records. The Nats are probably more of a surprise to the rest of the country, but round these Met bashing parts, that posi start has been the bigger surprise. Chris Stammen takes on the fallen back to earth Mike Pelfrey.
- White Sox at Twins, 1:10: It's the final game of a Two Game Series, "The Only Series Length Officially Unedorsed By Walkoff Walk™." The White Sox won the first game 5-2 and today look to "sweep." The Twins are holding a 2.5 game lead in the division. John Danks takes on Mr. Reliable Carl Pavano. No, I'm serious. Dude has gone at least 7 innings in 4 of 6 starts, going 6 in one other. INNINGS EATER.
- Blue Jays at Red Sox: The Sox look for their second series sweep in as many weeks. This one would allow them to jump Toronto into third place. Celebrate good times, come on! Shaun Marcum continues on the road back from the CTC Curse against Tim Wakefield, a man who will be starting for the Red Sox when I turn 45. Good thing this is an afternoon game because MY BAND FRENCH COPS IS PLAYING AT THE HOUSE OF BLUES ON LANDSDOWNE STREET DIRECTLY NEXT DOOR AT 930. ADMISSION IS FREE.
- Marlins at Cubs, 2:20: Lord the Cubs are up and down. They're currently mired in their 27th hitting slump of the young season and have lost 4 in a row. The broomin Fish could get to .500 with a win. That 4 way tie that Iracane predicted isn't really gonna happen is it?? Volstad Defender Of The Universe takes on Carlos Silva.
- Phillies at Rockies 3:05. Double trouble. Roy Halladay, protagonist of this new Baseball Project tune takes on the scuttling Aaron Cook in game one and Jamie Moyer, who must even be sick of hearing about himself, takes on the scuttling Jason Hammel in game two. In fact the whole Rockies team is in trouble as of late. Lots of injuries, lots of errors and lousy pitching. They've lost 3 of 4 including the first game of this series. WHERE ARE YOU, LORD? IS IT ROXTOBER YET?