Hey kids, do you believe in Hell? Babylon greed for wealth/ Do you deceive yourself and let your ego swell?
- WHY did the Phillies give Jim Bunning a 2008 World Series ring? Clearly, they got him confused with Jamie Moyer. A friend also adds via IM: "How long until the inevitable 'we could have saved money to pay Cliff Lee if we didn't send rings to X, Y, Z' comes up?" There's a good chance it's already been said.
- DID you know that MLB.com wrote a whole article asking baseball players to give advice to the Lakers and Celtics for tonight's Game 7? The lead is so awesome I'm going to blockquote it out:
Pau Gasol is from Spain and he's 6-foot-10. He's much more hardwood than hardball.
But the Los Angeles Lakers' star power forward's comments about Thursday's Game 7 of the NBA Finals, if taken out of context, could just as easily have been spoken by a man of equal height, Randy Johnson, about a winner-take-all game in baseball's World Series.
Okay, so that lead's pretty funny, but I am adamant that no one should lose his job over it. This commenter on MLB.com does not agree: "Whoever the editor was that approved a story cross promoting the NBA Finals, in which nothing in the story was actually linked to a baseball player, team or issue should be fired. Stick to baseball MLB dot Com." I really like how he wrote out the word "dot."
- HOW funny is it that people have deluded themselves into thinking players still aren't on some sort of performance-enhancing drugs? Take this quote from Ken Burns (please!): "Many of our favorite players clearly took performance enhancing drugs. But we've also come out on the other side."
- DID you know, despite the apparent reluctance of cats to run onto baseball fields, a little kitty did run on to the field during a France-Tunisia pre-World Cup friendly earlier this month? France now appears to be on its way out of the World Cup Finals, so maybe you don't want a cat on the field.
- IS this story about the Mariners' bullpen catcher finding love with some girl he flirted with in the stands cute or creepy? I'm actually going to go with cute. He wrote his number on a baseball and tossed it to her! I'm going to try that sometime. Of course, I don't work for a baseball team, so it might not have the same panache.
- WILL you be going to Kansas City for the 2012 All-Star Game? Eh. It is pretty awesome that the Star is already defending Kansas City against "unfair" attacks. Isn't Kansas City kinda nice? I hear more mean things about Philadelphia in a day than I've heard in my whole life about Kansas City.
I'll be back tomorrow, friends, with a bunch of posts after the USA destroys Slovenia -- more like Suck-venia! -- in the World Cup tomorrow morning. I don't even know where Rob is today and tomorrow, actually. I should edit the header and put a kitty photo in it.
Awesome 1910 advertisement via the Library of Congress