Mike Moustakas is a phyllo eating manbeast. The Royals farmhand went nuts for AAA Omaha last night going 4 for 6 with 3 funny bones and 11 RBI. Tiropita! Overall this season he has 34 of those ding dongs which has helped propel him to a 1.010 OPS. It's just too bad the big league club is so chock full of talent that he can't get his shot yet. What are they waiting for, a Greek economic rebound?
While my people have a storied history of inventing and perfecting just about everything, MLB has never really been our domain. I'm sure this isn't all-inclusive, but this Wikipedia page lists 14 major leaguers. Not exactly a murderer's row but still has a couple noteworthy names on it. It's true that I pitched a no hitter in Little League but I never made it past high school and am probably the best Greek Finder Of Outre Baseball YouTube Videos. So who then is the best Greek player of all-time? I'll rank em, 5-1.
- 5. Nick Markakis: Perhaps I should have just done a Top 4. But still, he's one of the best players on his team. Even if it is the Orioles.
- 4. Milt Pappas: Actually shortened his name from Pappastediodis, career 110 ERA+ two All-Star teams.
- 3. Gus Triandos: Made 4 All-Star teams, received an MVP vote in 4 separate seasons, as a catcher often led the league in passed balls and as a runner in times caught stealing.
- 2. Eric Karros: 1992 RoY, finished 5th in MVP voting in 1995, 284 career HRs.
- 1. Tino Martinez: GREEK MOTHER, finished 2nd in MVP voting in 1997, 2 All-Star teams, 339 career HRs.
So there you go. The best Greek major leaguer ever had the last name Martinez. We invented Democracy.