UPDATE: We'll donate $25 more to Feeding America if 25 people comment on this post by 3PM EST.
It's the day before Thanksgiving here in the United States which traditionally brings your pals here at Walkoff Walk to think once again about the needy in our country. We are thankful for all the wonderful gifts that we are lucky enough to have; we are thankful for friends and family; we are thankful for the clockless game that is baseball. But there are people starving all over North America. This is a social injustice that can and should be the easiest thing to solve.
After all, there is certainly enough food out there to feed the hungry. Folks just need some help, and that's where kind-hearted volunteers and charitable people come into play. So pony up, you middle-class citizen! GIve give give!
In the past two years that we've asked our readers and friends to donate some cash and/or actual goods to food banks, I've wondered how many of you actually listened to our begging and followed through. After all, we are small potatoes in terms of reach on the Internets. How could we WoWies make a difference?
Well, I suppose that even if just one of y'all did something because of our silly blog post, then it's worth the bits and the bytes and reproduction of the following listicle. Here, then, are links to food banks in all your MLB cities (and even Toronto!). Do your best, and thanks.
- Anaheim - Second Harvest of Orange County
- Arlington - North Texas Food Bank
- Atlanta - Atlanta Community Food Bank
- Baltimore - Maryland Food Bank
- Boston - Greater Boston Food Bank
- Chicago - Greater Chicago Food Bank
- Cincinnati - Freestore Foodbank
- Cleveland - Cleveland Foodbank
- Denver - Food Bank of the Rockies
- Detroit - Gleaners Community Food Bank
- Houston - Houston Food Bank
- Kansas City - Harvesters
- Los Angeles - Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Miami - Daily Bread
- Milwaukee - Hunger Task Force
- Minneapolis - Second Harvest Heartland
- New York - Food Bank for New York City
- Oakland - Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Philadelphia - PhilAbundance
- Phoenix - St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance
- Pittsburgh - Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
- San Diego - San Diego Food Bank
- San Francisco - San Francisco Food Bank
- Seattle - Northwest Harvest
- St. Louis - St. Louis Area Food Bank
- Tampa - America's Second Harvest of Tampa Bay
- Toronto - Daily Bread
- Washington - Capital Area Food Bank
If your city or town isn't represented here, head on over to Feeding America. Thanks for reading; let's hope that by the time we all sit down for Thanksgiving dinner, there are millions of folks who can take their names off the list of the hungry.